Saturday, March 27, 2010

CULTURAL EXPERIENCES
This country is very unusual, with its combination of English, Zulu, and Afrikans languages. Communicating with the kids is fairly easy as they learn English in school, yet their mother language is Zulu. It is harder to communicate with the little kids as they haven't learned much English yet, but you just give a 2-thumbs up and say, "Shop! Shop!" (I think this is some sort of British thing). Even though there is an English culture in general there are still things that are completely foreign here. First, there are little things like the amount of people/kids who fit in cars!

I was standing in line at a supermarket and a strange man came up behind me and said quietly, "Are you in Que?". My New York "Weird Man Inner Alarm" went off and I was filled with anxiety. What is he trying to ask me?? I did the New York thing of ignoring the crazy person. He said it again. I asked my Korean coworker who was with me what the guy was saying and he had no clue. The guy got frustrated and asked again, so I finally decided to respond to him. After a few minutes of questions and re-wording things I found that it simply meant, "Are you in line"! We all had a good laugh! But I was very glad to have learned that expression because a week later, the Korean guy (Yohan) and I took a child to the ER and it was all about knowing what "Que" to stand in and where the "Que" started and I would have been their for days if I didn't get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment